WELCOME!

WELCOME!

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Batch #1 - Black Cherry Pinot Noir (Part 2)

So two weeks later, we pick up at:

Step 5: Cleaning

More cleaning - yay.... Before doing anything, we clean out the plastic fermenter with the spigot and the various siphoning and stirring tools. I didn't make a spritzer bottle as previously planned, instead we tried using the bucket as the "sink."

We filled it with two gallons of water and put in the cleansing solution - then stirred. We cleaned the whole bucket inside and out. We then dipped the tubing, the spigot pieces, the funnels, the stirring spoon, the wine thief and the hydrometer to clean them.

Once done, we rinsed everything. As previously mentioned, I am not sure if rinsing is required. I examined the bottle with the cleaning solution and it says that it requires rinsing, yet the forums and directions on the kit indicate it is not necessary. I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Step 6: Siphoning

I then took the bucket and siphon tube to the basement where the wine had been sitting. I pulled the cork out of the carboy and was immediately hit with a wine smell - it was wondeful. There was no mold or vinegar smells. This was encouraging. I looked at the bottom of the glass carboy and identified how much sediment had settled.

The next step is to unwind the siphon tubing and lower into the carboy to just above the sediment. I had never siphoned something before -- but I saw it done on t.v.....so I was an expert...right. Regardless, I worked it out with little incident, other than a quick taste. Keeping the plastic fermenter bucket below the glass carboy, I put suction on the tube and filled the siphon, then lowered the end to the bottom of the fermenter. I had read that it is best to avoid letting the wine splash. I think it promotes oxidation, which I think is bad...if I remember correctly.

The siphoning went very fast. Much faster than using the spigot. The entire 5 to 6 gallons filled the plastic bucket within moments. When we got to the bottom of the glass carboy, we had to tip it slightly to pool the remaining liquid. The remaining sediment looks like rusty mud. This is actually called "Lees."

Step 7: More Cleaning

We carried both containers upstairs to the kitchen for the next step. Let me say - carrying a five gallon glass jar is quite heavy and slippery. I would not recommend doing this if you can think of an alternative. I now keep the carboys stored in the adjacent room to avoid the risk of dropping so much staining liquid - and to save my back.

The glass carboy is not an easy thing to clean. We filled it with water to get the Lees out and used the big angled scrubbing brush. Perhaps it was because I had never used such an odd angled toilet-brush-looking contraption, but I couldn't get it to give the good scrub I wanted. We kept rinsing the inside with water and occasionally the solution, but it seemed that a little sediment always remained. If anyone has a recommendation on how to clean this easier, it would be greatly appreciated! (total immersion and soaking?)

Step 8: Dumping more ingredients and stirring

Per the directions in the kit, now is the time to add a million more ingredients and stir "vigorously" for a ridiculous amount of time. I can see now why some people say they like to use an electric drill with a mixing attachment. We added an ingredient, stirred for a minute, added another ingredient, stirred 5 minutes, another, another minute, etc.

When all was said and done, the must smelled great. It now had the black cherry finishing in it and smelled very sweet. The potassium sorbate was added to stop fermentation -- which is where our problem started.

We were finished stirring when we read that it was time to measure the specific gravity. Oops - it says not to continue if the must has not dropped below .99 and ours was reading 1.030. I am not sure exactly what this means.

Step 9: Rerack

We noticed the bucket was leaking again. Immediately we attached a tube to the spigot and slowly drained it back into our recently cleaned carboy. It has been there almost 2 weeks at which point we will need to do another rerack or bottle.

Lessons Learned:

The plastic fermenter bucket is still not working. I tightened the nut/screw assembly as tight as humanly possible, added various levels of washers and I cannot get it to not leak. No matter what, it drips through the spigot slot and thankfully onto the tile floor that can be cleaned. I have now designated the bucket as transitional equipment only. I purchased another glass carboy that will be used in place of the plastic bucket. If I had to buy the set again, I would get a bucket without a spigot.

Specific Gravity - keep the hydrometer in the carboy - and keep an eye on it every few days. I think my basement might have been a little too cool and it kept the fermenation process at a slower pace than needed. Next time, I will make sure I have the temperature at optimal levels.

I posted on the forum listed on the right side "Wine Making Forum" my specific gravity problem and was told to call the distributor of the kits that I purchased from. I'm worried I have a stuck fermentation and the wine will be ruined. Hopefully I'll just end up with useable wine that is only slightly stronger than it was supposed to be.

I'll post an update once I speak with George at the Winemaker's Toy Store. (http://www.finevinewines.com/)

What an adventure!

No comments: